Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Changes in Employment

The last couple weeks, Andy and I had been discussing whether or not I should go back to work full time. We both agreed that keeping Hallee out of daycare would be best for her. Andy's schedule rotates hours and days off every 12 weeks. I work days, nights, weekends and holidays as well. In order for us to both go back to work, we needed to find someone willing to work with our crazy hours, which means extra expense. Andy doesn't really have a part time option with his job at the penitentiary. At the hospital, full time is three 12 hour days (or nights) per week. It's fairly easy to drop shifts, but I'd still be responsible to work certain weekends and holidays. So as of yesterday afternoon, I'm a PRN employee. Basically that means I work when I'm needed. I can work as little or as much as I want. When the hospital is not busy, I'll be the first one told to stay home. I am never obligated to work nights, weekends or holidays. I plan on signing up for one or two shifts each week, on the days Andy has off. We will be saving the expense of daycare, so things will almost even out. It's a little scary to give up my secure job for something much less stable, but it will be best for Hallee in the long run.

1 comment:

Dorine said...

When Lee was born, we were going to have day care for him while I finished teaching the Spring semester. (I was dreading it.) But when the time came, I was so lucky to have some flexibility at work and family available to help take care of him that day care wasn't needed then. Once the Fall semester came around and he was a little older, it wasn't so hard to trust him to a wonderful day care provider.

I'm happy for you, Andy and Hallee that this is going to work for you!!!